Sunday, June 13, 2010

I started out making an update but then just went off about the train...

So I figure it is time for a sort of mass update. Except I'm going to do it in installments. I hear suspense is good for ratings. Also I really should be studying right now.

I am slowly settling in to the new apartment, which is kind of hard to do because class was already in full swing when I got the place and so my stuff was literally spread all over Leo's. (Leo: Ross's friend whose house we were staying at. He's in Turkey. It's weird to stay in someones house you've never met, but also fun, because you can totally and completely judge them by their possessions and see if your right. I know, I know. If you judge, you will be judged. But I went to middle school, I've already been judged, so I feel it's now a moot point.) Also, Leo's is in Park Slope in Brooklyn, which is very nice and kind of neighborhood-y, most of the buildings are only 4-5 stories and so forth, but it take and hour to get ANYWHERE from there. So I was spending a lot of days riding the train a minimum of 2 hours just for school and then if we wanted to go do something, like get groceries or hang out with someone, that's another 2 hours. One day I rode the train for a cumulative total of 6 hours. I kept thinking of all the places I could have gone in the that time. Like to Knoxville and back, or Atlanta. Or, over the course of the week, to Abilene. But at least I don't have to steer the train, so I can read, or mostly pretend to read and actually look at people. I have seen some great and terrible things this way. My favorite outfit so far: A coral colored one piece swimsuit with mesh puffy pants. Mesh like a lingerie bag, not like a jersey. Like pants made of a shadow. Like when she sat down on the train, her butt was touching the seat, which, by the way, is a terrible idea.

Other fun times on the train: people are always asking me where the train they're riding on is going. On the weekends, the MTA loses their minds and the trains go, or don't go, all sortns of nonsense ways. Like last weekend, only 2 trains were running in and out of Brooklyn. Usually its somethings like 12, maybe 8 or 9 at night. But no, 2. Anyway, so I'm waiting for the R, which at night, looks like a D train, but runs on the R track. And this little Korean lady asks me if it will stop at 4th-9th sts. Which it will, despite looking like a D. So she gets on with her friends and they start having an incredibly animated discussion in Korean. They happened to be across from me. And the train stops at 4th-9th and they are still going on in korean. So I said, "Ma'am, did you want off at 4th-9th? Cause this is it?" and they all jumped up and for serious, the little man bowed at me all the way out of the train. Then the ladies stood outside the door and waved and waved at me, and even after the door closed and the train was moving, they were still waving away. It was pretty excellent, and everyone else in the train was looking at me like I was insane.

So thats the train. I am not having to ride it to school anymore, which is nice cause I get to sleep an extra hour. I still have to ride it to see Ross, though, but he got an apartment just across Central Park from me, so in a couple of weeks that won't be such a bad ride. I'll get to ride a bus, though (eww). I was gonna take some pictures of the apartment and neighborhood, etc, but its gross and rainy today (and when it's rainy here, its really nasty. There is positively no way to not get wet, and when you are finally not being rained on either because you are inside or it stopped, youre just very close to other people who are wet, which is unpleasant.) Hopefully I can do that tomorrow and do an apartment post. Woot.

1 comment:

  1. I bet everyone on the train wondered where that weird girl with manners came from. You misplaced Southern, you.

    ReplyDelete